Project participants

Musée international d'horlogerie, espace l'Homme et le Temps
Musée d'art et d'histoire, les androïdes Jaquet-Droz
Musée d'horlogerie du Locle, Château des Monts, le salon

MUSÉE INTERNATIONAL D’HORLOGERIE, 
LA CHAUX-DE-FONDS

The Musée international d'horlogerie is entirely dedicated to the measurement of time and the history of horology. From the sun dial to the atomic clock, more than 4000 exhibits demonstrate man's race against the clock. The collection of watches and clocks conserved by the Musée international d'horlogerie is a priceless piece of heritage in terms of the light these shed on the technical, artistic, economic and human history of clock and watch-making. Not only is this museum unique, it also houses a restoration centre for antique timepieces and a multidisciplinary study centre.

RÉGIS HUGUENIN, CURATOR, MIH

Régis Huguenin has a Master of Arts degree from the University of Neuchâtel, a Masters in research into the history of industrial societies and economies in Europe from Belfort-Montbéliard University of Technology, and a doctorate in history from both these universities. He has worked for a number of museums in the canton of Neuchâtel, then as the head of heritage for the watch manufacture Jaeger-LeCoultre in the canton of Vaud. Since 2014, he has been a curator at the Musée international d'horlogerie in La Chaux-de-Fonds.

MUSÉE D’HORLOGERIE DU LOCLE, CHÂTEAU DES MONTS

Between 1780 and 1790, Samuel DuBois, a small-scale clockmaker who was also in charge of inspecting precious metals in the Neuchâtel Mountains, built an opulent residence on the mountainside. This extraordinary building was christened the "Château des Monts". In 1912, it was sold by descendants of the DuBois family and bought by watchmaker and entrepreneur, Georges Ducommun, founder of the Doxa brand. In 1954, the City of Le Locle purchased it to turn it into a museum. This was opened in 1959. In 1958, the Watch-making School's watch and clock collection was augmented by a donation of prestigious pieces from the Maurice-Yves Sandoz collection of automata. This exceptional donation gave the institution a dynamic impetus. The museum subsequently developed through donors such as Henri Jeanmaire, Frédéric Savoye and Alfred Huguenin and their collections of pendulum clocks.

MORGHAN MOOTOOSAMY, CURATOR, MHL

Morghan Mootoosamy has a Master of Arts degree from the University of Lausanne, specialising in the history of contemporary art, oriental art and sociology. He was assistant to the curator at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Edmond Charrière, and was part of the editing team which createds catalogues for the Museum's collections. Between 2006 and 2008, he worked at Antiquorum, the Geneva auction house specialising in timepieces, where he was responsible for the historical and technical content of TimeZone.com, the largest English-language website for clock and watch enthusiasts, and, as a watch expert, helped to create the auction catalogues. Since 2009, he has been the curator and director at the Musée d’horlogerie du Locle at Château des Monts.

MUSÉE D’ART ET D’HISTOIRE, NEUCHÂTEL

In a superb building on the shores of the lake, the museum has more than twenty permanent and temporary exhibition rooms for its visitors to enjoy. Large collection of Swiss, French and Neuchâtel art, mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries. French impressionist room from a bequest by Amez-Droz. Rich collections of Swiss and foreign applied arts: ceramics, porcelain, glass, gold and silver, watch and clock, tin, toys, furniture, arms and uniforms, Jaquet-Droz (18th century) automata, Johannes Ruckers harpsichord. Local iconography. Coin and medals room with exhibits from Neuchâtel and from Switzerland, and interesting Greek, Roman and Celtic items. Numerous temporary exhibitions of ancient and modern art, local history and coins and medals.

CHRISTIAN HÖRACK, CURATOR IN THE APPLIED ARTS DEPARTMENT, MAHN

Dr Christian Hörack is the author of reference works on silverware from Lausanne and Basel gold- and silversmithing. He has also collaborated with a number of foreign museums: The Museum of Decorative Arts in Strasbourg, the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna and the Palais des Beaux-Arts in Lille. Between 2003 and 2012, he was the silverware expert for the Stuker auction house in Berne. He was part of a panel of experts for the Jewish Museum of Switzerland and the governing board for the CULTURESCAPES festival.

 

 

PARTNERS EXTERNAL ACCORDING TO OPERATIONS

 

 

RECHERCHE DE FINANCEMENT ET MISE EN VALEUR

L'Association Automates & Merveilles